Wednesday, January 21, 2009

January brings the snow

Actually, it brings the frost, but driving to work this morning (and yesterday) I could see snow on the moors in the distance.

A lot has happened since my last entry. Mark's wife died. About 6 weeks after diagnosis. Mark was off work, back at work and is off again now. I think his kids are OK. One of the trash magazines contacted him after she died and offered him £50 for his story. How pathetic is that?

I kind of stepped away from the computer after that. The world seemed like a bad, scary place. And I wanted to feel real paper, experience textures and sensations.

I had a mastectomy. They cut off my right breast. I have quite a neat scar, but no breast. I had a wound infection afterwards and ended up back in hospital. S revealed last week that Ivy (about a year older than her), who came to stay while I was in hospital told her "lots of people die of breast cancer and you may never see her again." She didn't tell anyone, until she told me 6 months later. Poor girl. She is a natural born worrier as it is.

I had radiotherapy. 3 weeks of journeys to Exeter. I 1/4 hours each way. I had a team of volunteer drivers, and in a way it was quite nice spending time with different people, but it was tiring.

And now I'm back at work, trying to get back to normal, and come to terms with the fact that normal now is going to be quite different from normal 2 years ago.

No comments: