Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Home again

Spent the morning at a study session - brief solution focussed therapy. It was so good to see everybody and have a bit of a laugh. I skirted around the exercises, though. Then occupational health, and we have worked out a revised timetable that I think will get me through. Minimal clinical work, as much other stuff as possible and as much work from home as possible. So we will be a really well audited service (in theory) if nothing else.

My mouth has settled down and I can open it wide enough to eat properly now, which is a relief. I am really annoyed that I missed that first 24 hours of effective antibiotics - it really got a hold then. It's still a bit sore, feels bruised more than anything else.

After occ health, went to see Granny. They told her this morning that she has ovarian cancer and she has taken it really badly. She looked terrible and seemed a bit confused, which was unexpected. I suppose she's out of her home, she can't see very well and she can't hear very well. She was vomiting some pretty vile black stuff and apparantly they did an aspiration after I'd gone and she got more comfortable and was a bit more lucid. It's awful though, and terrible for Mum and Dad -as if I wasn't enough to be going on with. And I can't help as much as I would like because I have to be careful of infections. My white cell count was really low - neutrophils 0.36 - if it doesn't pick up they'll defer chemo, which would be a right pain.

No comments: